The Old Bridge House Access Statement
Our Guest House is in an idyllic setting on the water’s edge, West Looe, Cornwall. The building is firstly built into the hillside making access for people with limited mobility potentially problematic depending on their situation. All of our bedrooms are set on the first and second floors. Being an old building on a hill, there are steps from the main footpath, and stairs between floors. With nine rooms, the sizes vary, but all rooms have good ceiling height, all are en suite, and only one bathroom has steps from bedroom area. The Guest House is sadly not really accessible by wheelchair, and for people who may struggle with stairs, please bear in mind that the guest house is three stories high.
- We are located on Quay Road, West Looe, which can be a busy road at times
- The nearest shops are approximately 3-5 minutes walk away on either side of the river.
- The nearest bus stop is located opposite St Nicholas’ Church, just 3 minutes walk away.
- There is also a railway station situated near local shops which connects to the main west coast line at Liskeard.
- There are several taxi companies in Looe, and we can arrange advance bookings for you.
- We regret that we do not take any animals, including hearing or guide dogs, as we do not have adequate facilities to accommodate them. We have a standard print brochure available on request, but currently no large print or Braille materials.
- Our website www.theoldbridgehousehotel.co.uk provides detailed pictures and descriptions of our accommodation and the services we provide as well as comprehensive guides to facilities and attractions in the local area.
- You can contact us by telephone or email. All contact information is listed later in this document.
Arrival and Car Parking
- It is useful, but not essential, if we know an estimated time of arrival so we can ensure someone is here to welcome you and assist you with your luggage.
- In order for you accommodation to be ready for you, we ask that guests do not arrive before 3.00 pm. Earlier arrival may be possible by prior arrangement depending on circumstances.
- The Guest House does not have its own car parking. Cars can be parked in public bays situated nearby, the nearest car pack is three minutes walk away. We help carry luggage from reception to rooms.
- It is possible to load and unload on the road outside, but there are double yellow lines, so guests will have to do this at their own risk. The current parking allowance is for a “reasonable time” to load and unload. The wardens have in the past allowed up to ten minutes for people, but this should not be taken as a guide for the future.
- From the road there is a gentle sloping footpath with cycle barriers at the bottom. Our entrance is about 30 paces up this footpath, and there are 6 steps scaling just over 4 feet leading up to a 3 ft wide gate.
- Once through the gate, it is just a few paces to the outer door. The outer door is always open, and the inner door is open at times, but there is a doorbell if this is not the case. Please ring the bell when you arrive, or use the bell in the hallway if doors are open.
Guest Accommodation – Public Areas
- The Guest House, as stated previously, is a three storey building.
- From arrival into the hallway, the dining room is off to the right through a door way.
- The Conservatory is normally accessed through the dining room via French doors, but please mind the step between rooms.
- The Conservatory has two tables, each with four chairs around, and from the Conservatory guests can access the bar, but again please mind the step between rooms.
- All accommodation is accessed using the stairs that come off the end of the hallway, and there is signage warning guests to “Mind their Head” on the first ceiling as this is fairly low.
- There are hand rails along all stairways. The superior double room is accessed by three steps down from first floor landing, but all other rooms have level access doorways
Dining Room, Conservatory and Bar
- Guests are welcome to use the Bar and Conservatory at any time.
- The Bar operates an “honesty” system whereby guests write down their drinks and the total is added to their final bill.
- As well as a range of alcoholic beverages and soft drinks, there is a CD player and selection of CDs, some magazines and a selection of board games.
- Breakfast is served in the dining room, times are listed on website.
- Rooms 2, 3, 4 and 5 are situated on the first floor.
- Room 2 is a large single.
- Room 3 is a twin room.
- Room 4 is a twin room.
- Room 5 is a standard double, with four steps up into the en suite bathroom.
- Room 6 is a large double room situated on landing between first and second floor and has three steps down to short landing before the door.
- Rooms 7, 8, 9 and 10 are situated on the second floor.
- Room 7 is a single room.
- Room 8 is a standard double room.
- Room 9 is a standard double room.
- Room 10 is a standard double room.
- All en suite bathrooms have showers which have a small step up into them. All showers are fitted with hand/grab rails.
- All rooms have flat screen TV with built in DVD players, kettle, and Hairdryer. Torch and sewing kit are available upon request
- There is a fire extinguisher on every landing.
- In the event of a fire the alarm will sound in all rooms. The building can be evacuated by the front door, via fire door in Room 2 and via a fire door on top landing next to rooms 7 and 8.
- Smoking is not permitted anywhere on the property.
- We are happy to cater for special dietary requirements as long as these are arranged in advance.
- We can refrigerate medication upon request.